Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Food, Naturally: Introduction
In case you missed it, you can start at the beginning.
I would like to start off by describing my food journey.
There was once a time when I did not make (or stock in my kitchen) anything that was not “something”-Helper or what I refer to as “pasta boxes” (Pasta Roni, Knorr Pasta sides, and Kraft Macaroni items). At that time I did not even stock fruits and vegetables in my kitchen and if on the rare occasion that I did buy “produce” at the store, it was only canned and most likely stayed in the cabinet until I cleaned them out for the food pantry! I thought that all fat was bad for you, but I still wanted my “fattening” pastas so I used skim milk, figuring it would reduce the calories I was afraid to eat (but did anyway). This continued through my meeting Robert. We still have memories of Tuna Helper only dinners.
Right before I started writing my own blog (my first post was in March 2009) I started checking out different blogs through the Faith and Family LIVE comments sections. I found some good, some bad, some personal journal-type, and some “business” with big followings. Because of a couple good blogs I encountered I started thinking seriously about what we eat.
One of the blogs I read regularly is one I mentioned previously called Heavenly Homemakers. The writer Laura (yes, same name) is a Christian homemaker who blogs mostly about real food: her family’s journey to real food, recipes, tips, and information. She also blogs about faith and living. The other blog I have been reading on and off for almost two years, but as of this writing I have already read through about twenty or more posts in just one day! It is called Kitchen Stewardship. The writer Katie is a Catholic mother who blogs about good stewardship in and out of the kitchen.
Through these two blogs, many online sources, and the two books mentioned here, I have learned a great deal about what we should really be eating. So as not to overwhelm those of you who may have never heard of any of this, I will start slow and not include too many details but only strongly encourage you to do your own reading and researching. There are so many false sources out there that it can be hard to sift through them, but one of the most important things to remember is this. Do they have a political, financial, or other gain that may be obtained by making these remarks regarding what we eat? (This can be applied in any case where safety and health are concerned. I will probably be writing about this in other areas at a later date.)
With that, I will conclude my introduction as well as let you know that my next post will be generically answering the question, “What is real food?” And each subsequent post will briefly elaborate on a specific food or group of foods! I cannot wait to share more.
Labels:
Food Series
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment