Saturday, September 11, 2010

Learning

The sweetest quote from a four-year-old breastfeeding child found in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding "Mama, when you nurse me, it's as if you take the love out of you and put it into me."

Now for the info (paraphrased from the book):
Human babies are born at an earlier stage of development than many other mammals. Why? Because our brains are so large and a woman's pelvis so small (in comparison) that to wait any longer, the baby wouldn't be able to fit through. How much longer would it be? A chimpanzee or gorilla baby is born with a brain half its adult size. Human babies don't reach that "mark" until about nine months old!
Babies are meant to stay with their "mommies". It's the way God and nature intended and for some reason out society has tried to counter this with bouncy seats, swings, cribs, bassinets, car seats, etc. I tried to go against the flow for a while as well and it back-fired (if you'll remember this post). Now we're both so much happier because we're together! There are times when he's laying/sitting by himself and I think "I need you" because I can't stand to be away from him. Why fight with nature?

No comments: