Monday, June 1, 2009

Staying Motivated

Lately, I've had problems with motivation. I had a list of weekly chores (one chore for each day) that I made a while back. But it wasn't in an obvious location (the side of the fridge) and I wasn't getting motivated to do them -- I'd skip a chore for the day or even the whole week.

Then I saw this link on The Happy Housewife last week, and even though I'm not a mom, I still thought I'd check it out and see what it was all about. They have resource links and homeschooling information but the thing that caught my eye was the Daily Chore Planners in the "products" section.

I got a few cleaning ideas from their site and made my own list version. I have lists for daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, semi-annual, and annual chores. I started using it Friday and spent all day (from about 10 am to 5 pm) cleaning! Needless to say - "I love it". It is definitely motivating for me to see a list of things I need to accomplish. It helps me to see what needs to be done and what time frame I have to do it in - that way, if I don't feel like doing very much one day I can just work on the daily chores, but if I'm in cleaning mode I have a whole list of things to do!

This is only Day 2 (I keep my weekends free so I can spend time with Robert because I don't get very much time with him during the week since he's working 2 hours away right now) so we'll see how it goes - I'll keep you updated and let you know if I'm staying on track!

1 comment:

Jen (emsun.org) said...

Good luck! I also have problems with motivation regarding chores. In addition, I operate an in-home daycare and have two children. Like my grandma always said, "Cleaning a house while there is kids in it is like shoveling while it is still snowing!" Things pile up so fast, and then when I get all that put away, I just don't feel like scrubbing the tubs!