Monday, January 9, 2012
The Importance of Education
You may think that my series title sounds self-evident, but throughout this series I hope to show you not only how important education really is, but how our current educational system and even most homeschooling methods are completely lacking the ability to teach children how to learn. I will also talk about homeschooling: how unoriginal it is, how Catholic it is, and how necessary it is for a complete education. Lastly, but not of least importance, I will introduce you to the idea of “classical education”.
As Dorothy Sayers says, “we have lost the tools of learning,” and with them, our ability to think, reason, speak, and write articulately and logically.
Posts in this series are as follows, but as always, I am sure this list will grow by the time the series is complete.
Post Topics:
Why do we need an education?
What is a proper education?
How do we achieve this?
Homeschooling (sub-series):
A Brief History of Homeschooling
Why is homeschooling so important?
What makes homeschooling different?
The Dreaded “S” Word
Homeschooling and Catholicism
A Short Look at "Unschooling"
Classical Education (sub-series):
What is Classical Education?
The Trivium
The Quadrivium
What All This Means
References: Browse for more information. I will add more as I find good sources.
The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise
Catholic Education: Homeward Bound by Kimberly Hahn
The Catholic Homeschool Companion ed. by Maureen Wittmann
The Read-aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease
Dorothy Sayers’ 1947 essay “The Lost Tools of Learning”
The Well Trained Mind (website)
Homeschooling Catholic (website)
Five J’s (a homeschool blog)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds like this will be interesting, Laura.
Post a Comment