Monday, March 8, 2010

Good Books I've Read Lately

These are some of the books that were on my "pregnancy reading list" from my yearly goals I've been posting about. Obviously the first one has nothing to do with pregnancy and I just started reading it this weekend, but I'm over half-way done with it and it's a must-read!

Theology of the Body for Beginners 2nd Edition
I have not finished this book yet, but just let me say one thing about it so far - "wow"! I love this book. If John Paul II's book seems intimidating to you, read this one. It's short and very well written. I'm sure it leaves a lot out (because of it's brevity) but you still get tons of wonderful information on sex, marriage, and the human body in general!

The Baby Book
There is so much information in this book. It's over 700 pages - and yes, I read it cover to cover! If you want a book that covers almost every topic, this one is the one to get. It's readable, has a great index, and lots of pictures. Another thing that makes this book so great is the fact that it has chapters on most of the other "Sears" books such as attachment parenting, breastfeeding, nighttime parenting, family nutrition, the fussy baby, and more. So you're getting multiple books in one.

Pushed: The Painful Truth
Okay, so I admit, reading this book got me a little stressed out about giving birth. But it's well researched and has some good (true) stories in it if you're looking for something "different".

The Official Lamaze Guide
I fell in love with this book while reading it. I love the Lamaze philosophy and the fact that they've changed over the years to something more than just "breathing" that you see in all the movies and TV shows.

Husband-Coached Childbirth
This was a wonderful book about natural childbirth. It is the "Bradley Method" if you're familiar with that, but the book is more than just "what to do when you're in labor". I loved this book and found it even more inspiring than the Lamaze book.

Breastfeeding and Catholic Motherhood
I really enjoyed reading this one. I've read all three of Sheila Kippley's breastfeeding books now and they are all equally wonderful, but I especially enjoyed the religious aspect of this book and how it pertains to breastfeeding.

The Vaccine Book
This will help you put vaccines into perspective. It's written by Dr. Robert Sears (Dr. William Sears' son) and is NOT a book about how scary vaccines are and why you shouldn't let your child get them. It has legitimate information about the make-up of each vaccine, why you should get it and reasons why some people don't. Everything in the book is very well researched and I definitely learned a lot reading it. It also helped me decide which vaccines to get for our children and which ones are unnecessary.

No comments: